Your wedding day will be one of the most beautiful and most expensive days of your life. You will be signing many, many agreements that are legally binding, but before you do be sure to ask the right questions and get everything that is promised verbally, in writing. You never know when the person you are dealing with may leave the company and there are no notes about all the things that they said they would do or give to you. Below are 20 questions/issues that as wedding day management specialists and day of coordinators we've learned to ensure are covered in the contract.
1. Ask if your specific date is available (and make sure that the day, date and year is referenced in the contract if you need a specific date).
2. If you are more flexible with your date, ask which dates are available and if there is a discount for booking in a specific month or day of the week (get this in writing in the contract).
3. Find out if there is a minimum and maximum number of people the venue can hold, dinner style (this is important as a venue can hold more people standing, conference style and stadium style).
4. Pricing and what specifically is included in the price - tables, chairs, linens, flatware, silverware, glassware, lighting, audio, visual, set up, tear down, security, bar, alcohol, etc. Make sure that everything that they promise verbally makes it into the contract.
5. Any discounts that are available (off season, weekday, day time, bridal show, referral, etc.). Make sure they are reflected in the contract.
6. What is the deposit amount, when is it due and is it refundable if you change your mind or if you are in the military and you are deployed?
7. How do you pay the remaining amount (is there a payment plan, penalties, is it refundable)?
8. Do they have a bridal suite and/or groom's room and is it included in your rental? When can you access it? Are there any restrictions (food, drinks, number of people)? Is it locked up during the wedding? When does it have to be cleaned out?
9. What is the cancellation policy?
10. What is their weather plan, when is it implemented and who makes that call?
11. How long do you have access to the space (set up and tear down time)? Make sure this is included in your contract.
12. What is the overtime fee and when is it implemented?
13. Are there any decoration restrictions or guidelines that must be followed (candles, flower petals, rice, balloons, hanging items, etc.).
14. Do they have a required vendor list? Is there an additional cost if you choose not to use them?
15. If they have a required caterer, ask for the price per person, packages and if there is any flexibility in the menus/choices.
16. Do they have a food tasting? Is there a cost for it? A maximum number of people that can attend? When does it happen? Do you get to choose what you sample?
17. Can you provide your own alcohol? If you can't, do they offer a consumption bar or a beer and wine only option?
18. Do they have music restrictions (time ending, sound level)?
19. Do they require security? Under what circumstances is it required? Is it included in the price? If it is not included, where can you hire them?
20. Do you have to provide event insurance, liquor liability or any other type of insurance? Do your vendors?
Seem overwhelming? We understand! Download an excel version of our questions here!
We can not stress enough to get everything that you are told in writing, preferably in the contract. We have seen over and over again couples that are scrambling last minute to find, fix or take care of things that they thought they were getting at the venue and for whatever reason the venue can not or will not accommodate.
Contract review is one of the main reasons we strongly suggest hiring a wedding day manager, day of coordinator or full service wedding planner.
Local to Phoenix or coming here to get married, please call us or reach out on our contact form, we're happy to help!
Sweet I Do's is a wedding planning company located in Surprise, AZ (a suburb of Phoenix). We specialize in wedding day management (also known as day of coordination). We help you create an amazing, unique and totally "you" wedding that allows you to be in the moments making the memories, not worrying about the details. From contract review and timeline creation to day of management, set up and tear down, we're focused on ensuring our couples, their families and friends experience a stress and worry free night to remember.